Wednesday, April 17, 2013

NaPoWriMo 17

Today's NaPoWriMo challenge is to write a poem of greeting. It sounded like a good idea, so that's what I did.

Greeting the Day

Morning begins with a squeak
not unlike the sound of the loose brakes of the bike I used to have
coming to a not-sudden-enough stop on wet tar
I roll over and pull up the blankets, hoping it will stop
but it rarely does
It escalates
to the sound of a small motorbike my previous neighbor owned
I didn't like him, especially at five a.m.
and I groan a tired but hopeful sort of groan
and wait
and after a moment of surprising silence
there's the tone of my first teakettle,
the one I found in the trash at college
it had a broken stopper
That's the end of the line
I fall out of bed onto my reluctant feet
and eyes not yet cooperating
peer into his bassinet
someone takes the teakettle off the burner
He smiles.
"Good morning, Handsome," I say hoarsely
like a lawn rake going through dry fall grass
"What do you want to do today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment